Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bento Meal: 9/9/10

Yet again, it's been a while since I packed a bento. The week before last, I was in too much pain to be bothered (standing long enough to pack a decent bento would have been too much on my back). Then last week, I had the pains again, but also in the abdomen. Not round ligaments, but from an "Irritablility", as my doctor put it, from not drinking enough fluids. Great. So, I was a bit more focused on other things rather than packing food.

Earlier this week was as follows: Monday was Labor Day, so no need to pack for work. Tuesday, I had a frozen personal size pizza. Wednesday, I had leftovers from taking my hubby out to dinner for his birthday.

But today, I was determined to pack my lunch. Also helped that I don't really have much in the way of "grab and go" food ready at this time and I definitely didn't want to go out to buy food or order in, so a packed lunch was a must.

Today's Bento...

Lunch
Fried rice (beef, onions, tater tots, and white rice, seasoned with salt and sesame oil)
Dolmas (stuffed grape leaves)
Cucumber slices

Snack
Gluten-free chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filler and chocolate icing

Drink
Limeade (to be watered down further)

Pretty much everything was leftovers. The beef and tater tots in the fried rice was leftovers from my son. The beef was from Monday dinner and the tater tots from yesterday's lunch. I figured he'd not be interested in either today, especially with leftover homemade spaghetti available. The cake was also from Monday, which my mother made my husband for his birthday. The dolmas were leftover from my small dinner yesterday. I wasn't very hungry, so I had a few with some buttered rice on the side... 1/3 of which my son ended up eating, even though he had dinner and a small dessert prior. I'm not complaining though. He's at that stage where he's not really eating much (quantity-wise), so I didn't mind sharing. Besides, as I said, I wasn't that hungry.

2 comments:

rObrak said...

Your pack lunch and snack are really good! But if you're on the healthy lunch pack project, you need to consider also the food stacking container you're going to use. It's important that you'll have a safer, reusable lunch container. If you like, you might like to try to use a stainless steel tiffin container. It is an alternative to plastic bags and plastic containers that are prone to BPA. Stainless steel containers from Happy Tiffin, has easy stack and re-pack design, durable, eco-friendly and comes from different shapes/designs, sizes to choose. You'll love it for sure. ;-)

MankyCat said...

I only purchase BPA free containers, which I verify with the (source) company. The problem with the stainless steel tiffin containers are that they are not microwave safe and are typically not leak proof (though maybe these specific ones are leak proof... I haven't seen a review on them yet).

I rarely use plastic bags for any of my meals or snacks.

Thanks for the suggestion; it's something I've been thinking about for a while, but kept choosing ot forgo on purchasing for one reason or another. :-)